From “Gubbhyllan” to hotel and conference in amazing historical environment.
The building was constructed in 1930 by a foundation owned by the Uppsala Student Union. Arcitects were Rolf Engströmer and Erik Högström. This was the first building with student dormatories in Uppsala and only male students were welcome.
This building – together with the adjacent building Clasonska Gården – was used as a training and education centre by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) from the nineteen sixies. Swedish staff with assignments in developing countries were educated on these premises.
The training centre was moved in 1996 and an agreement was signed with Uppsala University to take over the centre. Name for this new enterprise was International Training Centre.
After a couple of years, the name was changed to Akademihotellet, since the services now were changed into hotel and conference. The hotel was renovated and developed into a popular venue for confences and also a perfect base for tourists exploring historical Uppsala. Uppsala University also gave the hotel a new assignment: housing for visiting guest researchers and exchange students.
Next change came in 2009, when the University board decided that this activity could not continue as a part of the University. It was then transferred into a company, Akademihotellet AB, owned by the Uppsala University Foundations Management of Estates and Funds. The hotel was now well established and could continue to seek new guests and customers on the private market.
The ideal location on Övre Slottsgatan and the historical surrounding areas are quite unique. Well functioning conference rooms, extraordinary breakfast, nice staff and cosy hotel rooms are valued by the guests.
In the year 2018, the hotel has 41 hotel rooms. 2 studios and 5 conference rooms. One of the conference rooms – Clasonsalen – is in Clasonska gården.
Our largest conference room, Clasonsalen, is situated on the second floor in Clasonska gården. This house was built in 1762 to be Post Office in Uppsala. The house stands on the foundation of an earlier office building for the Governor in Uppsala County, erected in 1699 and drawn by Olof Rudbeck the older. In the year 1773, the Post Office was moved closer to the city centre and the house was used as private housing for Prof. Edward Clason and remained in the Clason family until 1965, when it after a few rebuildings was sold to the University.
Welcome to Akademihotellet to feel moments in history!